This post shows students and new users steps to install HandBrake on Ubuntu Linux. HandBrake is a cross-platform multimedia transcoder that allows you to convert common media files into another format. It can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or Blu-ray sources that do not contain copy-right protections.
Remember, the multimedia file you want to convert should not be copy-right protected. HandBrake will only support source media files that are not encrypted.
Some of the formats you can convert to are listed below:
- File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV
- Video Encoders: H.265 (x265 and QuickSync), H.264, H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8, VP9 and Theora
- Audio Encoders: AAC / HE-AAC, MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis
- Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, AAC and MP3 tracks
A new version of HandBrake was recently released for all platforms with some new features. For more about this release, please check out its release page.
With this release, some of the features below were introduced.
- – Improved user interface
– Redesigned main window for consistency and usability; overall flow is top to bottom, left to right
– Added new preset controls directly in main workflow
– Added new summary tab for overview of settings at a glance
– Updated interface icons to support high resolution displays
– New and improved official presets
– Added new presets for Vimeo and YouTube
– Added new 2160p/4K device presets for Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire TV, and Roku
– Added new Production presets for post-production video editing workflows
– Added additional 2160p/4K Matroska presets
– Improved AppleTV 4K support
– Improved Intel QuickSync Video support
– Added Linux support (experimental)
– Added 10-bit H.265/HEVC encoding support for Kaby Lake and newer CPUs
– Added support for multiple GPUs via D3D11 encode path
– Many bug fixes and improvements
How to Install HandBrake on Ubuntu Linux
To install the latest version of HandBrake on Ubuntu, follow the steps below:
The easiest way to install HandBrake on Ubuntu is via its PPA repository. to install from that, run the commands below:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
Then run the commands below to update Ubuntu and install HandBrake
sudo apt update sudo apt install handbrake-gtk handbrake-cli
Running the above commands should download the latest version of the package and install on Ubuntu.
If you decide that you don’t want HandBrake installed anymore, run the commands below to remove the package
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove handbrake-gtk handbrake-cli sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
That should do it!
That should do it!
This post showed you how to install and use HandBrake on Ubuntu Linux. If you find any error above or have something to add, please use the comment form below.