VirtualBox 6.0 has been released with boat load of changes for Windows, Linux and OS X systems. Some of these changes include support for exporting a virtual machine to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, a new file manager enabling user to control the guest file system and copy files between host and guest and more…
This brief tutorial shows you how to install / upgrade to VirtualBox 6.0 on Windows systems….
This release also brings lots of bug fixes as well, and some major improvements… Windows systems now have support for surround speaker setups used in Windows 10 Build 1809, support for Hyper-V as the fallback execution core on Windows host, and more…
For more about this released, please check its changelog page…
VirtualBox software gets new updates very frequently on Windows and Linux systems… You may have already gotten notifications of the latest release…
If you’re using Windows, simply click the link to the latest version and download. then do an in-place upgrade of the existing installation.
Here’s a list of some of the major features included with this version:
- Implemented support for exporting a virtual machine to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- User interface: greatly improved HiDPI and scaling support, including better detection and per-machine configuration
- Major rework of user interface with simpler and more powerful application and virtual machine set-up
- User interface: a new file manager enabling user to control the guest file system and copy files between host and guest.
- Graphics: major update of 3D graphics support for Windows guests, and VMSVGA 3D graphics device emulation on Linux and Solaris guests
- Added support for surround speaker setups (as used by Windows 10 Build 1809)
- Added utility vboximg-mount on Apple hosts to access the content of guest disks on the host
- Added support for using Hyper-V as the fallback execution core on Windows host, to avoid inability to run VMs at the price of reduced performance
To install or Upgrade VirtualBox software on Ubuntu, do the steps below:
Step 1: Download VirtualBox installer for Windows
The installer can be found on its download page here https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Go to the page above and download the binary version for Windows hosts
After downloading the installer file, run it to begin the installation wizard. You should be prompted to setup VirtualBox 6.0 on your computer.
Whether you’re setting up a new install or upgrading, accept the default feature sets and installation location. Advanced users may changes these settings.
During the installation, you’ll get a Network Interfaces warning. Click Yes to proceed. If you’re in the process of downloading or copying files and data, this will interrupt your network connection briefly. So, maybe pause the process or wait until you’re done before installing VirtualBox.
On the next screen, click Install to begin installing the program.
After installing or upgrading VirtualBox, you will be prompted to upgrade Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack to the latest version. click the Download button to do so.
Next, install the extension pack.
After agreeing to the licensing terms, the extension pack should be installed and ready to use.
The extension pack extends the functionality of VirtualBox base packages. It provides the following enhancements to VirtualBox:
- Virtual USB 2.0 (EHCI) device
- Virtual USB 3.0 (xHCI) device
- VirtualBox Remote Desktop Protocol (VRDP) support
- Host webcam passthrough
- Intel PXE boot ROM.
- Experimental support for PCI passthrough on Linux hosts
- Disk image encryption with AES algorithm
If you’re performing a new installation, VirtualBox extension pack can be downloaded from the same download page::
Download and save the current pack for all supported platforms
When you’re done, VirtualBox software will be ready to use.
You may also like the post below: