ICE HRM, an open source Human Resource Managemnt (HRM) platform for busineses and individuals to manage all their human resource needs from a single portal has been updated to version v24.0.0 and this brief tutorial shows students and new users how to install / upgrade on Ubuntu 16.04 | 18.04 LTS.
This release includes some very critical security fixes. and if you’re currently running previous version of ICEHRM, you’re encouraged to upgrade to the latest release.
Some of the security fixes include, a fix for missing login form CSRF token, a risky usage of the hashed password in the request has been fixed and a fox to prevent manager from accessing sensitive user records.
For more about this release, please visit its changelog page.
Below is a complete list of what was included with this latest release:
- Allow passing additional parameters to payroll predefined methods
- Pass leave type name in function field to get leave count for a given type
- Add employee name to payroll report
- Show supervisor name on employee profile
- Add custom fields to employee report
- Add filter by status feature to subordinate time sheets
- Fix missing login form CSRF token
- Fix risky usage of the hashed password in the request
- Fixing permission issues on module access for each user level
- Prevent manager from accessing sensitive user records
- Hide employee salary from managers
- Prevent manager from accessing audit, cron and notifications
- Prevent managers from deleting employees
- Validate overtime start and end times
- Fix issue: the employee can download draft payroll
Below are two posts that show students and new users how to install ICEHRM. You can pick either one that suit your environment.
Option #1: Install ICEHRM with Apache2 Support
If you want to install ICEHRM with Apache2 HTTP and PHP 7.2 support, then select the post below:
Option #2: Install ICEHRM with Nginx HTTP Support
If you want to run ICEHRM with Nginx and PHP 7.2-FPM support instead, then select the post below:
Option #3: Upgrading ICEHRM
If you already have ICEHRM installed and you want to upgrade to the latest release, then follow the steps below:
To upgrade ICEHRM you should first backup your database content as well as your web. Only after backing up before you should attempt to upgrade.
Then run the commands below to backup the current web folder content.
sudo mv /var/www/html/icehrm /var/www/html/icehrm_bak
Next, download the current latest version and move it to the web root directory.
cd /tmp && wget https://github.com/gamonoid/icehrm/releases/download/v24.0.0.OS/icehrm_v24.0.0.OS.zip unzip icehrm_v24.0.0.OS.zip sudo mv icehrm_v24.0.0.OS /var/www/html/icehrm
After copying the new content. delete the app folder from the new content.
sudo rm -rf /var/www/html/icehrm/app
Next, restore the app folder from the backed-up content into the current.
sudo cp -rf /var/www/html/icehrm_bak/app /var/www/html/icehrm/
When you’re done, run the commands below to adjust the permission on root directory.
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/html/icehrm/ sudo chmod -R 755 /var/www/html/icehrm/
Start up the web server
sudo systemctl start apache2
Open your browser and browse to the server hostname or IP address and you should see a logon prompt. Login and you’re done.
You may also like the post below: