This brief tutorial shows students and new users how to delete files and folders in Ubuntu.
If you do not want a file or folder any more, you can delete it. To delete an item, simply identify and select it. Then delete.
When you delete an item it is moved to the Trash folder, where it is stored until you empty the trash. The trash folder where items are kept temporarily until you empty it.
In cases where you didn’t mean to delete a filer or folder, you can always restore to their original location if you decide you need them, or if they were accidentally deleted.
To lean how to delete items in Ubuntu, follow the steps below:
Send items to the trash
Sending items to the trash is also known as deleting an item. The trash folder holds items until it’s emptied.
You can always restore items to their original locations when you decide you don’t want to lost it forever by emptying the trash folder.
To delete an item, do these:
- Select the item you want to place in the trash by clicking it once.
- Press Delete on your keyboard. Alternatively, drag the item to the Trash in the sidebar.
- You can right-click on the item you want to delete and select Move to Trash
The file will be moved to the trash, and you’ll be presented with an option to Undo the deletion. The Undo button will appear for a few seconds.
If you select Undo, the file will be restored to its original location.
Again, the trash folder will hold items forever until you empty it. To delete files permanently, and free up disk space on your computer, you need to empty the trash.
Permanently delete items
If you want to permanently delete an item without having to send it to the trash first, you can use the steps below.
- Select the item you want to delete.
- Press and hold the Shift key, then press the Delete key on your keyboard.
- Because you cannot undo this, you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the file or folder.
To lose items in the trash folder, simply empty it.
That should do it!
This post showed you how to delete a file or folder in Ubuntu. If you find any error above, please use the comment form below to report.
You may also like the post below: